The European Committee for Standardization (CEN) and European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization (CENELEC) have joined together to reach out to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and make it easier for them to engage in standards-related activities. The most recent manifestation of this initiative is the launch of the CEN-CENELEC SME web portal, which will provide standards-related advice and information targeted to SMEs. Approximately 80% of Europe’s medtech industry is composed of SMEs.
The portal will provide European SMEs with the business tools required to access the European standardisation system of CEN and CENELEC. Highlights of the new site include:
- information on new standardisation initiatives
- information on standardisation work in the pipeline
- first-line advice through consultation of appropriate experts via e-mail
- updated brochures and material relevant to SMEs
- training for SMEs that wish to understand more and contribute to European standardisation
- conferences and events of interest to SMEs.