Obviously, there’s an awful lot of pharmaceutical packaging on display at Pharmapack Europe, but medical packaging also gets a fair amount of attention at the annual event. If you live in or near Paris, or are just looking for an excuse to spend some time in the city of light, the event is definitely worth checking out. Need more motivation? Here are five reasons you should consider attending Pharmapack Europe.
1. DuPont Performance Polymers will showcase its new Delrin SC699 acetal resin, which played a key role in the design and manufacture of the UnoPen, a disposable, variable-dose injector pen for insulin and other therapies developed by Ypsomed AG. The material is used to mould the pen’s dose dial sleeve. Its low-friction behaviour facilitates use of the pen by diabetes patients, according to DuPont. Other attributes of the material in the UnoPen application include its mechanical properties and compatibility with laser marking when using a masterbatch.
2. MultiShell vials that combine the best properties of plastic and glass in a container for liquid medications will be front and centre at the Gerresheimer stand. The innovative vials have a unique triple-layer structure in which polyamide is sandwiched between two layers of cyclic olefin copolymers. Gerresheimer received the German Packaging Award late last year for the development of this product.
3. Promens Medical Packaging A/S has announced the launch of a full range of transparent vials made from cyclic olefin copolymers. ClearVial is described as an economical packaging system that provides glass-like clarity and is environmentally friendly because it eliminates the need for prewashing, drying and sterilisation prior to filling.
4. A conference track devoted to combination products and drug-delivery systems includes a session titled Why Medical Devices Are the Future of Drugs. Dr. Yves Tillet, who runs a consultancy specialising in healthcare products, will explain why appropriately designed drug-delivery systems increase the efficacy and safety of medicinal products and improve the benefit-to-risk ratio. The combination products conference track is scheduled for 16 February.
5. The event is in Paris! Honestly, what more do you need?
Pharmapack Europe returns to the Grande Halle de la Villette in Paris on 15 and 16 February 2012. The event is organised by UBM Canon, which also produces medtechinsider. You can register to attend online at www.pharmapack.fr.Norbert Sparrow